Happy Valentine’s Day!
Do you enjoy Valentine’s Day, or do you think it’s just another excuse for stores to sell more chocolate?
I want to talk about the difference in Valentine’s Day in Japan and America.
- In America men and women exchange Valentine’s on the same day, there is no White Day.
- In America there is no “giri choco’ (duty chocolate). The first time I was given this was a shock to me. I looked up the word “giri” in my Japanese dictionary and was so disappointed.
- We have a school Valentine’s dance starting around the 6th grade. I can still remember my first dance. So shy, so exciting!
- School children in America typically give a Valentine’s card to every member of their class. (maybe THIS is America’s “giri choco”?) These cards are put in a special handmade box at school.
- Usually, a couple, husband-wife, boyfriend-girlfriend, etc, will plan a special date for Valentine’s Day. A nice dinner, a nice dance, a nice card etc. . . .
I hope you have a wonderful Valentine’s Day.