In many of my classes, we have been studying shopping. Unfortunately, the inflation in Japan (and around the world) has taken some of the fun out of shopping.
I did have a nice day shopping yesterday, and unexpectedly found many good deals at Dodger’s Supermarket. So with a little newfound positivity, let’s learn some uncommon shopping phrases.
- Shopping Therapy. (or Retail Therapy) Buying something to make you feel better. I broke up with my boyfriend yesterday, I think it’s time for some shopping therapy.
- Shop around. Going to different stores to compare prices or services. (also used for dating). Don’t settle on the first man you see, you’d better shop around! (see video below)*
- Shoplift. 万引き. One of the signs of the bad economy is a startling increase in shoplifting.
- Fit like a glove. to fit perfectly. That suit fits you like a glove. You should definitely buy it.
- Shop til you drop. To keep shopping until you’re too tired to continue. (it’s an exaggeration). I used to shop til I dropped all night! These days, one or two stores is my limit.
Next time, 5 more phrases.
In the mean time, I really enjoyed winter camping and snowshoeing last week.